October 26, 2011
“I believe in helping women to be empowered to make a difference in women’s lives — and have them impact others’ lives.”
Music to the Voss Foundation’s ears! In a recent meeting, Women Helping Women New York members met at the offices of STC Associates, our pro-bono PR and social media angels who so kindly lent us their space, for a private screening of Pray the Devil Back to Hell. This documentary by WHW supporter Abigail Disney tells the story of Leymah Gbowee and how she rallied hundreds of brave and strong Liberian women to expel a dictator and end the civil wars that plagued their country for over a decade. The film was the original inspiration for the Women Helping Women campaign and the screening was in preparation for our upcoming Women Helping Women New York luncheon, funding a water project at the Hope Mission School in Liberia.
At the start of the meeting, each committee member spoke about her relationship to and experience with the Voss Foundation’s Women Helping Women campaign.
So…why have some of our donors joined our Women Helping Women?
- My husband is involved in coffee and we’ve been to Ethiopia. At first you see the malaria issues, but it’s all connected to water and women. I just had a daughter last year so my life is very women centric right now; this is just another way for me to give back
- This is really something awesome that Voss does. I’ve worked for a lot of different beverage companies but none that really give back, so I am so glad to be part of both Voss and the Foundation
- I am from the Congo and moved here when I was 5, so this is close to my heart. I am honored to be part of this in any kind of way. I am always doing things on the personal level. Its really wonderful to think there is something I can do to help a larger group
- I became involved through the [New York] Junior League. The reason why I wanted to become more involved is because I think it is amazing for 150 women to come to a luncheon and be able to see the impact a few months later.
- It was a nice deviation from my normal daily routine. I haven’t been involved in this type of event for a good cause. I am happy to contribute my time: its amazing to see these results, it has a different meaning when you see the value of the time spent